In this step-by-step tutorial, we are going to see how to embed YouTube videos into Moodle so that students can watch them without leaving the platform. No software required. No privacy issues. No file-size limits.
Embed YouTube Videos in Moodle
Step #1 | Get YouTube Video Embed Code
An embed code is not a normal link to the video, so you can’t just copy the URL. If you copy the URL, students will be able to click on the link but they will be redirected to YouTube.
To get the the embed code, follow the steps below:
- Go to the YouTube video you would like to show your students.
- Under the video, click Share. A box with all the sharing options will open. The link you see in this box is still not the one you need. Choose the option “<> Embed” instead.
- After clicking “<> Embed” another box will open. In that box you can choose the starting time and you can also see some additional embed options. The code will reflect those options. So once you are done, click Copy. You will probably see a notice saying “Link copied to clipboard”.
Step #2 | Embed the YouTube Video in Moodle course
- Go to your Moodle course and turn the editing mode on.
- Go to the section where you want to share your YouTube video and click Add an activity or resource.
- Once the resource box opens, choose Page to add a new pop up web page to your section.
- The “Adding a new page to…” window will open and you have to give your webpage a name; you can write a description; and you have to add some page content.
- The video can be added to the description or to the content section. To do so, go to the place where you want to see your video (description or content); click the button Toolbar Toggle to see all the editing options, and choose the angle brackets (<>). These will allow you to insert the embed code you copied from the YouTube video, which is an html code.
- When the HTML source code window opens, just paste the code you copied from the YouTube video and click update at the bottom of the window.
- Save the changes you have made and post your page.