This resource fosters a hands-on introduction to the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) and it was designed specifically for teachers aiming to kickstart their students’ exploration of human rights. I have chosen the name ‘European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) – Overview’ because this resource serves as the initial step in an extended lesson plan on the topic of human rights in Europe, an especially relevant and current topic with far-reaching global implications.
This ECHR overview features exercises designed to help students define the ECHR, along with thought-provoking activities where they match illustrations to the most relevant rights and become familiar with what the convention prohibits and protects.
The objective is not only to provide students with a dynamic and accessible introduction to the principles upheld by the European Court of Human Rights but also, most importantly, to spark discussions and encourage critical thinking. You can see all the details in the preview video at the bottom of this page.
All the resources included are teacher-friendly and require no prep. All the information you need is included in the answer key provided in PDF format and in the PowerPoint presentation.
- 3-page worksheet (PDF + Word);
- 3-page answer key (PDF + Word);
- 1 audio track for the listening activity (MP3 + WAV);
- 14-slide animated PowerPoint presentation with answer key and teacher prep (compatible with Google Slides).
All the worksheets and the answer keys are provided in US Letter and A4 so that you can choose the best size when printing (click here to see the difference). Files are compatible with Google Docs and/or Google Slides so you can open them using Google Drive. If necessary, click here to see how to convert a PowerPoint file into Google Slides.
If this is a topic you need to extend in class, I suggest looking at the bundle I have created, which includes all the resources I have developed so far on human rights in Europe and European human rights law. Alternatively, you can explore the complete set of resources and discover how they can be effectively incorporated into your lessons on our blog post European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) | Educational Resources in English.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
SEE ALL: See all resources in English
You can maximize the impact of this resource by integrating it with the following complementary materials:
- European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) – The Convention
- European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) – Extended Vocabulary
- European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) – Trivia Game: Know Your Rights
- European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) – Quiz
- European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) – Trivia Game: Case Closed
- European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) – Quiz
- Check out the Product BUNDLE that includes all the resources listed above at a discounted price!